Skip to content
Three men jailed following murder in Hackney

News -

Three men jailed following murder in Hackney

A huge police operation has led to three men being jailed for a total of 48 years after a man was gunned down in a London street.

Patrick Anzy, 31, was shot three times with a MAC11 machine gun at Gillett Square in Dalston on 8 May, 2021.

Those who played a part in his death were tracked down after specialist officers pieced together their movements and uncovered evidence from around the country.

On 24 June at Southwark Crown Court three men were sentenced for their part in his death. They are:

[A] Jermaine Jackson, 36 (27.10.85) of Princess May Road, N16, was jailed for 33 years for murder and 22 years for possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life – sentences to run concurrently.

[B] Oshane Hartley, 26 (09.09.85) of Victorian Road, N16 was jailed for 12 years for possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

[C] Mohamed Abrar, 25 (20.07.96) of Maury Road, N16 was jailed for three years for assisting an offender.

The trio had previously been convicted at trial on Friday, 13 May.

The court heard how police and London Ambulance Service found Patrick with gunshot wounds to his neck and chest. Despite the best efforts of medics he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem examination on Tuesday, 11 May 2021 confirmed the cause of death as gunshot injuries.

An investigation was launched by homicide detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command.

During the investigation officers examined hundreds of hours of CCTV and mobile phone data that revealed the movements of all three defendants on the night of the murder.

The CCTV showed Jackson confronting Patrick and his friend at Gillett Square. He then left them briefly, collecting the sub machine gun from nearby and returned, armed, to confront them again.

CCTV showed Patrick and a friend speaking with Jackson in the street. When Jackson produced the machine gun, Patrick and his friend ran in an attempt to flee, but Jackson shot Patrick in the back, causing catastrophic injuries.

Around 10-15 minutes after the murder a taxi was booked by Abrar, to collect a passenger in Boleyn Road. The passenger was Jackson.

He was taken by mini-cab to an address in Harlow where Abrar was waiting.

From there he took further cabs to Hackney, and within 12 hours of the murder had left the capital then travelled by train to Birmingham in an attempt to evade police.

He had also changed and disposed of clothing, believing this would prevent him being tracked by detectives.

This would prove to be pointless as he was arrested in Birmingham on suspicion of murder on 15 May 2021. He was charged with Patrick’s murder on 17 May.

Days earlier, on the 12 May, officers arrested Hartley on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder after a team of officers used CCTV and phone work to piece together that he was involved in the disposal of the firearm. He was charged on 21 October with possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Abrar was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender on 6 June. He was also charged on 21 October 2021.

A specialist team of officers spent hundreds of hours viewing CCTV, noting how the group desperately tried to erase any evidence and flee the scene. Analysts mapped out their movements from examining phones and detectives meticulously obtained evidence to build the case.

Detective Sergeant James Robertson said: “The investigation team would like to express their thanks to Patrick’s family who have been dignified and courageous throughout this traumatic time.

“This was an extremely difficult and complex inquiry as Jackson was assisted in his attempt to evade justice. The police team were determined to find Jackson, Hartley and Abrar, arrest them and bring them to justice. That justice has been done and I hope that the sentences deter anyone else from carrying weapons on London’s streets.

“While we can never bring Patrick back, we could ensure those responsible were locked up. I am glad that those who played their part in this horrific shooting are behind bars.

“Of course, Patrick’s family continue to grieve and we know that they will always carry this loss and pain. I hope that this result today brings them a shred of comfort and we continue to think of them.

“The firearm used in this murder was a high calibre machine gun, one not commonly seen on the streets of London or elsewhere in the UK. It was offered for sale via social media to a wider criminal network less than an hour after the murder. It still hasn’t been recovered and I urge anyone with information about this firearm to contact us.”