Skip to content

News

Five men jailed for murder of young man in Walworth

Five men have been sentenced to a combined total of 107 years following the fatal stabbing of a man in Walworth in April 2025.

Met detectives carried out an extensive investigation, including reviewing over 1,500 hours of CCTV footage, to connect the five men to the murder of Giovanny Rendon Bedoya, 21, on 14 April 2025.

All were sentenced at the Old Bailey on Wednesday, 20 May after previously being convicted of murder on Tuesday, 14 April, following an 11-week trial.

  • Joseph Jimenez, 22 (14.08.03) of no fixed address, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 22 years.
  • Angel Gonzalez Angulo, 19 (24.08.06) of Camberwell Church Street, SE5, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 21 years.
  • Bryan Villada Hernandez, 20 (26.02.06) of Langdale Close, SE17, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 21 years.
  • Zozoro Mohamed Olivier Boizo, 21 (14.10.04) of Lorrimore Square, SE17, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 21 years.
  • Christian Batista Gonzalez, 22 (02.10.03) of Moyers Road, E10, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 22 years.

Detective Chief Inspector Kate Blackburn, who led the Met’s investigation, said: “Today’s sentences show that those who commit vicious and brutal attacks will face significant, life-altering consequences. The group acted together during a sustained and extremely violent attack, chasing and killing Giovanny, showing brutality and reckless violence.

“Our thoughts remain with Giovanny’s family and friends, who have shown immense courage and dignity throughout. I hope they can find some sort of peace following the conclusion of the trial.

“This was a complex case, and I would like to thank the community of Walworth who supported our investigation and provided us with a timeline of what had happened that night. The group acted with no thought to what others would see or hear and I am truly grateful for all those who came forward and gave their harrowing accounts.

“The Met remains committed to taking the most dangerous offenders off the streets to keep London safe.”

In her victim impact statement, Giovanny’s mother said: “I want the world to know that my son was innocent. He had no part in any of the earlier events that evening. He was not fighting with anyone. He came out of his address and within seconds, was met with violence. He was not carrying a weapon. He did not go out to harm anyone. The five people guilty for his murder however intended to do just that, and for whatever reason they chose my son, they took away his life in the most brutal of ways.

“My son was killed in a country that I do not know, and I do not speak the language of. This put me in an extremely vulnerable position as I have had no choice but to rely on other people this entire last year. Every time my phone has rung from an overseas number, my heart skipped a beat and I would answer tentatively, in fear of hearing more bad news.

“I thank God and the whole police team who have put their heart and soul in the case of my son. I am grateful for all of the support from my liaison officer. My life will not be long enough for me to be able to thank you.”

The investigation

On Monday, 14 April at 21:16hrs, police were called to reports of a group fighting with knives in the Walworth area, near to Hillingdon Street and Langdale Close, SE17.

Officers attended and found Giovanny behind residential flats on Hillingdon Street with multiple stab wounds. He was pronounced dead at 22:07hrs.

A post-mortem examination found the cause of death to be multiple sharp-force injuries.

Enquiries revealed there had been a chase through an alleyway before Giovanny was cornered and attacked by the suspects.

Evidence and arrests

Urgent enquiries by police led to the arrest of Hernandez at the scene. Forensic examination of his clothing later revealed the victim’s blood on his tracksuit and coat, as well as damage consistent with concealing a knife. Discussions about destroying evidence and concerns about police activity were also found in messages recovered from his phone.

Crucial CCTV footage from a nearby premises helped officers link the group to the attack as well as to a residential address on Langdale Close, which was being used as a squat.

This was part of more than 1,500 hours of CCTV trawled through by the Met’s detectives, who worked tirelessly to bring the men to justice for their actions.

CCTV also captured Angulo changing clothing and carrying a bin bag following the attack, after he and Boizo fled the address and travelled by taxi to a friend’s home. Prosecutors said this was the disposal of blood-stained items and weapons.

Jimenez was arrested on 21 April 2025 in Chichester, after fleeing London.

Angulo was then arrested on 23 April 2025. Boizo was arrested on 2 May 2025.

Gonzalez fled the UK and was arrested near Barcelona on 19 May 2025, before being extradited back to the UK.

Topics

Categories

Regions

Contacts