Skip to content
UPDATED: Two jailed after extensive CCTV and forensic evidence presented to the jury in the Newham murder of Junior Jah

News -

UPDATED: Two jailed after extensive CCTV and forensic evidence presented to the jury in the Newham murder of Junior Jah

Two men have been sentenced to more than 30 years in jail after extensive CCTV, forensic and phone evidence convinced the jury they were guilty of murder.

Abubakarr ‘Junior’ Jah was just 18 when he was fatally shot and stabbed in Newham in April 2021.

On Wednesday, 12 June Awadh Saleh, 25 (28.03.99) of Chesterton Terrace, E13 was sentenced to life with a minimum of 36 years.

Rio Burton-Devine, 25 (06.02.99) of Burder Close, N1, was sentenced to life with a minimum of 31 years.

Both were convicted of Junior’s murder at the conclusion of a trial at the Old Bailey on Thursday, 9 May.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Rogers, the senior investigating officer, said: “Junior was murdered just four years after his brother Ahmed and his family have been through unimaginable suffering. Our thoughts continue to remain with them and we are pleased those responsible for his death have been given lengthy custodial sentences.

“Junior’s life was suddenly and inexplicably cut short by Saleh and Burton-Devine, who set out that day on a ‘rideout’, intent on carrying out the most brutal act of violence against anyone they believed may be linked to rival gangs.

“They believed they could get away with their crimes but despite the length of time passed, our team never gave up fighting for justice for Junior and his family.”

Officers and the London Ambulance Service were called to reports of a stabbing on Coolfin Road, Newham on 26 April 2021. Despite emergency treatment from paramedics, Junior sadly died at the scene.

Detectives launched an immediate investigation, including gathering and analysing thousands of hours of CCTV.

Footage captured showed that in the middle of the afternoon, at 14:44hrs, a Land Rover Discovery pulled up close to junior. As he walked toward the car, within seconds, he was shot in the chest.

The driver of the car, later identified by officers as Saleh, then got out of the vehicle and walked around to Junior, stabbing him twice in the chest with a large knife.

The car was later found on fire at nearby Routemaster Close. Forensic examination found Junior’s DNA present on one of the doors. A fingerprint was also found belonging to Burton-Devine.

Phone analysis showed the men had been in touch with and in each other’s company in the hours leading up to the murder, as well as placing them in the vehicle used in the crime.

Both continued to deny their involvement in the murder. Detectives believe that they did not know Junior but that the attack was motivated by a feud between rival gangs.

The jury also found them both guilty of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, and Saleh was additionally found guilty of possession of a pointed/bladed article.

DCI Rogers added: “Junior’s family have shown great strength throughout this investigation but we continue to fight for justice and are working to find those responsible for killing his brother, Ahmed Deen-Jah, in April 2017.

“Seven years has passed since his murder but we know people’s allegiances can change over time. Anyone who has information is asked to call police on 101 or alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers completely anonymously on 0800 555 111."




Metropolitan Police

Media enquiries only -

For all other contact with the Metropolitan Police please visit, call 101 or in an emergency always call 999