Skip to content
Two jailed for violent murder in Kingston

News -

Two jailed for violent murder in Kingston

Two people have been jailed after their conviction for murdering a man in Kingston after detectives found CCTV that linked them to the attack.

Sean Deery, 28 (31.08.94), of no fixed address, was sentenced to life with a minimum term of 25 years imprisonment.

Sebastian Niven, 18 (03.01.06), of Sugden Road, Thames Ditton – who can now be named after reporting restrictions were lifted after he turned 18 – was sentenced to life with a minimum of 14 years imprisonment.

Both had been convicted at the Old Bailey in December and were jailed at the same court on Monday, 19 February.

The jury heard how Farhad Khalili was attacked at around 19:00hrs on 15 December 2021 as he walked along Surbiton Crescent, Kingston. As he approached the junction of Anglesea Road, he was ambushed and attacked by Deery and Niven, who was then a 15-year-old boy.

Farhad was stabbed several times and managed to stagger to Surbiton Road where he collapsed. Police, London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance attended but despite their best efforts, Farhad died at the scene.

A quick-time review of CCTV identified both Deery and Niven attacking Farhad. Deery had subsequently been detained after being wrongly identified as a suspect in a separate robbery that took place in nearby Portsmouth Road, Kingston shortly before the attack on Farhad.

Niven had fled on foot but was subsequently arrested at his home address the following day. Blood-stained clothing was found linking him to the attack on Farhad.

While in custody, both Deery and Niven refused to answer any questions put to them in police interview but the evidence against them was such that both were charged with murder.

Detective Inspector Jim Barry, from the Specialist Crime Command, said: “While Farhad and his assailants were known to each other it has never been established why they attacked him in such a violent manner.

“What is clear is that when Deery and Niven launched their attack, they did so with a ferocity and intent to cause Farhad significant harm.

“The actions of those on scene, including the officers who initially responded to the call, were commendable and helped us quickly identify and detain both suspects. The support and assistance from the local community was vital.

“This has enabled us to put those responsible for Farhad’s murder before the courts to face the consequences of their actions. I hope these sentences bring some small degree of comfort to Farhad’s family and friends who have been left to deal with the tragic outcome."




Metropolitan Police

Media enquiries only -

For all other contact with the Metropolitan Police please visit, call 101 or in an emergency always call 999