Skip to content
Two men convicted of tragedy chanting following incident at Millwall vs Leicester City match

News -

Two men convicted of tragedy chanting following incident at Millwall vs Leicester City match

Met officers have applied recently introduced “tragedy chanting” legislation to convict two Millwall football fans who made deeply offensive gestures during a match against Leicester City earlier this year.

The father and son – who had no choice but to plead guilty due to the weight of evidence against them - were also given three-year Football Banning Orders.

During the January fixture at The Den, Peter Brooks and his son Freddie were filmed making helicopter gestures to Leicester City fans and pointing at a passing helicopter before laughing. This was clearly a reference to the helicopter crash in 2018 which killed the club’s then owner, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, and four others.

DC Phil Dickinson, Football Investigations Team, said:“These convictions demonstrate the zero tolerance approach we are taking to those who partake in so-called ‘tragedy chanting’. While such incidents might previously have been viewed as simply being in poor taste, they are now rightly being recognised for what they are – vile offences which cause upset and outrage.

“We are familiar with fans taunting their opponents at football matches, but this is generally done and taken in good humour and without offence. This incident crossed the line of what is acceptable. It was quite simply a hate crime.”

Close collaboration between the Met and Leicestershire Police meant officers were able to take swift action to identify the defendants and remove them from the ground after the footage was highlighted by Leicester City fans to their officers who passed it to Met colleagues. Officers were also supported by Millwall FC in identifying the pair.

After being ejected from the game, both men were later charged via postal requisition with a public order offence.

On Wednesday, 21 February they appeared at Bromley Magistrates’ Court where both pleaded guilty and were dealt with as follows:

Freddie Brooks, 18 (19.10.05), of Rolls Road, SE1 was given a 12-month conditional discharge, three-year Football Banning Order, required to pay £85 in costs, and a victim surcharge of £26.

Peter Brooks, 48 (16.05.75), of the same address was fined £266, issued with a three-year Football Banning Order and required to pay £85 in costs and £106 victim surcharge.




Metropolitan Police

Media enquiries only -

For all other contact with the Metropolitan Police please visit, call 101 or in an emergency always call 999