Skip to content

News

Man jailed for antisemitic hate crimes in Hackney

A man who threatened to “blow up” Jewish schools a day after he was arrested for shouting “I will kill you Jews” has been jailed.

The case shows the Met’s commitment to tackling hate crime, working with the Crown Prosecution Service and our partners in the community.

Tavius Jean-Charles, 36 (06.01.90), subjected six victims to repeated threats over several months between October 2025 and March 2026, with the incidents taking place near synagogues.

He directed his threats towards individuals he believed to be Jewish, including shouting death threats and calling for Jewish schools to be blown up.

The incidents came to a head in March. Police were called at 14:15hrs on Monday, 16 March following reports a driver had observed a man shouting “I will kill you Jews” before the passenger window of his car was smashed as he drove along Manor Road, Stamford Hill.

Working alongside Shomrim, police identified Jean-Charles as the suspect. He was arrested on Monday, 23 March and taken into custody.

Jean-Charles was bailed the following day pending further enquiries. Just 73 minutes after his release from custody police received a report that a man matching his description on Dunsmure Road, Stamford Hill, was heard saying into his phone: “It would be good if we blew up one of their schools.”

Officers located Jean-Charles nearby, within minutes of the original call, and he was arrested on suspicion of a religiously-aggravated public order offence.

He was charged on Wednesday, 25 March with six counts of racially and religiously aggravated public order offences, racially and religiously aggravated criminal damage, criminal damage, and five counts of non-aggravated public order offences.

Jean-Charles, of Bethune Road, Hackney, pleaded guilty on Wednesday, 15 April to seven racially-aggravated public order offences and one count of racially-aggravated criminal damage. He was remanded in custody. He also admitted a separate charge of possession with intent to supply a class A drug in June 2024.

He appeared at Southwark Crown Court on Friday, 22 May and was sentenced to five years' imprisonment. He was given an indefinite restraining order preventing him from contacting his victims or entering the Stamford Hill area.

Detective Chief Superintendent Brittany Clarke, who leads policing in the area, said:

“Jean-Charles told detectives when he was interviewed that he didn’t have any negative feelings towards Jewish people. The evidence shows otherwise and I’m pleased my officers, working with our partners, have been able to bring him to justice.

“There is no place for hate in the capital. I hope this case demonstrates to the Jewish community in London how seriously we take antisemitic hate crimes.”

Following the Hatzola ambulances arson attack in Golders Green in March, the Met launched the largest protective policing campaign in our history.

Counter-terrorism detectives are leading 11 investigations into attacks on the Jewish and Iranian communities, including a terror attack that saw two Jewish men being stabbed in Golders Green on Wednesday, 29 April. Detectives have made a total of 35 arrests in connection with those investigations and 10 people have been charged.

Separately, officers across London have made over 90 hate crime arrests since the end of March. They include over 70 arrests for antisemitic offences.

Earlier this month, we announced the creation of a new Community Protection Team. Initially comprised of 100 officers, it will bring together neighbourhood policing, specialist protection and counter terrorism capabilities, providing a more visible, intelligence‑led and coordinated presence focused on protecting Jewish communities across London.

Topics

Categories

Regions

Contacts